Value Your Gold Earrings
Valuing gold earrings that contain diamonds or precious gemstones is not an exact science. Diamond and gemstone earrings are typically worth more than traditional gold earrings.
The metal value of gold earrings is dependent upon the alloy in which it is mixed; palladium may be used in white gold earrings and palladium is a more expensive metal than gold.
Yellow and rose gold earrings are alloyed with gold, copper, and silver. White gold earrings are alloyed with nickel or palladium.
In order to value you gold earrings online you will need access to a digital scale. You can use one for free at your local post office. A pair of traditional gold earrings weighs about 6 grams.
Below are two examples of valuing yellow gold earrings based upon 14K and 18K gold content:
14K gold earrings valuation example
1. The gold content in a 14K gold earring is equivalent to 58.33% gold. This percentage is derived from the calculation14K divided 24K (14/24) in order to establish the percent of gold content of 58.33%
2. The overall weight of the gold earring is weighed next. For this example, our 14K gold earrings weigh 1 gram each, or 2 grams for the pair
3. The live (current) price of gold can be found for free at online gold bullion dealers. Kitco.com is a popular online website to view current gold prices. The "bid" is what a buyer is willing to pay per gram, and the "ask" is what a seller is willing to sell gold per gram. For our example, we will use a bid price of $61/gram.
4. Calculate the gold content value by multiplying the weight of the gold earrings (2 grams) X's the live bid price of gold ($61), and multiple the sum by 58.33% (.5833).
2 gram x's $61 per gram equals = $122
$122 X's 58.33% = $71.16
In conclusion, a pair of 14K gold earrings that weighs 2 grams contains physical gold content worth $71.16
18K gold earrings valuation example
1. The gold content in a pair of 18K gold earrings is equivalent to 75% gold. This percentage is derived from the calculation18K divided 24K (18/24) in order to establish the percent of gold content of 75%
2. The overall weight of the gold earring is weighed next. For this example, our gold earrings weigh 3 grams a piece, or 6 grams for the pair of earrings.
3. As established above, we will be using the value of $61 gram as our assumption on the current price of gold.
4. Calculate the gold content value by multiplying the weight of the gold earring (6 grams) X's the live bid price of gold ($61/gram), and multiple the sum by 75% (.75).
6 grams x's $61/gram = $366
$366 X's 75% = $274.50
In conclusion, a pair of 18K gold earrings that weigh 3 grams each contains physical gold content worth $274.50